Friday, July 22, 2011

A New View

Hey Subaru, thanks for yielding to oncoming traffic....

In case you have not noticed, there is a significant amount of road construction underway throughout Spokane this summer.  It disrupts routes, affects businesses and makes our life seem miserable as we try to get to where we are going.  From our perspective, most of it is badly needed repair and upgrades to existing roads.

None of us really likes it, but we all endure the hardship for the common good.  An unexpected benefit comes from the necessity to change our routes whether it is on the morning ride or during commutes.  One such change became necessary as a result of Phase II of the work on South Grand recently.  

I had to find a new route to get to 33rd during my morning ride up the south hill and back and settled on a circuitous path around Hart Field and onto Manito.  The change in my ride was not huge, but the modification was enough that it caused me to notice different houses, yards, landscaping and people enjoying their morning.    It also altered the rhythm of my ride slightly to avoid some of the boredom that can come from riding the same route day after day.

Just like I vowed to ride without the bike computer occasionally in Joy Ride, I am also committing to altering my routine to include different parts of the route on a whim just to see what I can see.  Who knows what I may find.

See you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment