Saturday, March 26, 2011

I think we all can relate to Rider 3's blog yesterday about his rain-stricken ride. Sooner or later, the weather catches you less prepared than you'd like, and you just have to slog through. I got a reminder of that on Thursday evening, when Spokane Rocket Velo went for their first Chase The Sun ride, which is a loop north of Spokane.

We started at 6:30PM, knowing that we'd be riding in the dark by the end. Hey, no problem, I've got excellent lights and a custom hyper-reflective jacket. Chase The Sun is a no-drop ride, but that doesn't rule out some "random bursts of fast," as we call them, so I did want to bring my Trek road-racing bike, not my heavier jack-of-all-trades Soma Smoothie ES rain/commuting bike.

In the interest of full performance potential, I also removed the RoadRacer Mk. II full fenders from the Trek the night before. If it looked like rain, I planned to take the Soma, which has full fenders and can carry baggage (namely raingear).

Well, it didn't look like it was going to rain, but guess what? Yeah. I could describe the rest, but this video sums it up fairly well:







Sorry the music goes on after the video ends, I neglected to trim it at the end. Anyway, I did a thorough job of jinxing myself, huh? March is not to be underestimated!

No comments:

Post a Comment