Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bill Gets a New Bike - Part 3

In Part 2 of this series, Bill expresses his dreams and desires to Glen about his new bike and then stands there waiting to watch him build it.  Glen gently moves Bill out the door and gets to work.  With Bill out of the way, the real work starts....


Prior to my formal fitting/planning session with Glen, I felt I had talked things over with riding buddies enough that I had a pretty concrete idea of what I wanted, and a fairly precise way to describe it. After years of managing commercial printing facilities, I am comfortable talking over things with highly skilled people and then staying out of the way so they can do their job.


But after my ideas had left my head, and Glen was in the process of turning them into a bike, I realized that I had also managed to build up a fairly good set of expectations. These expectations stem partially from the fantasy
bike I had built in my head and in part from hearing how much other Elephant owners love their bikes.



Then it dawned on me that even though the bike is being built just for me, I don¹t really get to test-ride the thing. Not to get overly dramatic but it is sort of like an arranged marriage; there is no comparison-shopping going
on here. You meet with your matchmaker, tell them your hopes and dreams, and they go find, or in this case make, the one that is just for you.  (For the record, I used to work with someone who had an arranged marriage and from all indications they were both wonderfully happy.)



While I¹ve been sitting in this valley of the unknown, Glen has sent me a few pictures.





Just to make sure we had all the clearance issues worked out I dropped off some bits and pieces and got to see even more progress.






It is odd to see something that, for a few years now, has been an abstract notion in my head all of the sudden come to life.

Now all I need to do is keep my excitement and fears equally in check for just a little longer.


Next, Bill gets his bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment