Sunday, September 23, 2012

Somewhere Around Average

Each year I attempt to ride about 5,000 miles because it is achievable, but far from easy.  I ride that much because I like to eat pretty much whatever I want and drink a pint of IPA once in awhile.  Realistically, that means hitting 4,000 miles somewhere before the end of October to have a chance at 5,000 for the year.  Otherwise the weather gets bad and the daylight too short to be able to get some long rides in to make-up missed mileage earlier in the year.  Things like travel, illness, weather, work and injuries often make mileage a challenge.

Since I began keeping record, the earliest I have hit that milestone is September 2 and the latest is December 8.  Last year was October 24 after I had switched over to cyclocross tires on my Superfly.  This year seems to be about average - occurring on Septemer 22.  Nothing heroic, just solid miles 18 - 20 at a time somewhere around 18 miles an hour if I am riding solo.

Someone popped in the shop the other day and asked if I was going to achieve 5,000 miles this year.  My reply - I don't know.  Last year was an all-out effort in December which came down to the wire.  This year is about average for those in which I hit 5,000 - we will have to see how it goes.

See you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment