Sunday, January 15, 2012

Road Riding in January

A recent survey of the blogs and Facebook posts of cyclists in the area indicates some long rides complete with GPS tracking and profiles as well as some 3 1/2 hour rides elsewhere.  The roads are in pretty good shape and combined with a high temperature in the 40F range made for some good early season road riding yesterday.

I was faced with the choice of going for a long ride somewhere on the Palouse or riding about 30 miles and still having time to go see a new action flick with my teenage son.  As I planned my long ride the lyrics of Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin started assaulting my brain.

I expected that the roads were in suitable shape to get the Madone (Dress Bike) out and remember what it feels like to be on a thoroughbred cruising the roads on the Palouse.

The roads were in good shape in contrast to my body.  Despite my suspicions about my condition, the Madone makes me want to ride it the same way I did a few months ago.  Charging up hill and trying to maintain a reasonably good average pace.  This is all fine and good until about 3/4 of the way through the ride when my body revolts and my brain started asking me 'what were you thinking?'

There was a good bit of sand on the Valley Chapel Grade and some frost on one of the bridges but no issues on the rest of the road.  Latah Creek even had some ice on the surface which you can barely make-out in this photo.

Looks like we may be back on studs and snow this week so the ride on Saturday was a nice preview of the upcoming season.  If you are looking for something to do while we wait-out the upcoming snow - go see Contraband - it is a typical action movie formula, but good fun nonetheless. Cats in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man on the moon.......

See you on the Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment