Thursday, January 19, 2012

More Road Riding in January

I had to face the fact that winter is really here this morning.  I thought it would be fun to do 15 or so miles on the road today with the Studded Superfly.  The conditions were snow, on top of ice, with more snow then frozen rain.  This made the tires want to sink in the deeper stuff ( with occasional wandering) and slide on the slightly compact stuff.  The compact snow wanted to keep sliding over the ice which made for some circus-like balancing at some points. 

I also noticed how far drivers creep to the inside of curves when I saw how far the wheel ruts intruded over the white fog line and line designating a bike lane.  One driver buzzed me pretty good even though I was 3 feet from the fog line because that is where the car tracks went. 

The best traction was in the bike lane on 57th Ave. since it was mostly just ice.  Once I got to the bottom of Hatch, I was rewarded with light traffic and a reasonably good riding surface.  The best reward was the view and feeling like I was out cross-country skiing in the country.


Probably not the best choice to go out this morning, but slowing down and enjoying the fact that I was out on a bike made it workable.

See you on the road.

2 comments:

  1. Yow. Tough commute Geoff. Nice job. It took me 40 minutes to go the 4 miles to my office this AM. And it's all downhill... going home will be a significant aerobic event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chickened out today. Government Way, and that drivers don't stay in their lanes as you noted, makes it a bit dicey, more than I'm comfortable with. I'm happy to ride the shoulder even if it's not plowed, but not with cars buzzing me.

    ReplyDelete