Sunday, September 4, 2011

Time to Add Some Fibers to the Diet

Despite my denials to the contrary, cooler weather is here for our morning rides.  Rides with temps in the low 40s makes it tough to ignore the inevitable change in seasons and the need for different clothing options.  The lower temperatures are compounded by our geography where cold, dense air collects in the small valleys at the bottom of our hills.  Sometimes the temperatures are as much as 15 degrees below those on top.

I tend to work-up a sweat on climbs so a 30 mph descent into colder air really gets my attention.  This weekend I had to pull-out my secret weapon to staying comfortable this time of year - Merino Wool head to toe.


The wool provides a super comfortable loft for warmth and superior wicking for moisture management which gives it the broad temperature range needed for this time of year - all in a single layer.  Ibex Giro Full Zip Long Sleeve Jersey, El Fito 3/4 Bib Knickers and Teko Mid-weight Hiking Socks.  There is nothing else I would rather be wearing - period.  I like the hiking socks since they are longer and thicker than regular cycling socks while still fitting comfortably in my road shoes.

If you are like me and want to comfortably extend your outdoor cycling season as far as possible - consider adding some (wool) fiber to you diet - it might be what the doctor ordered.

See you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment