Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Downside of Di2

I have finally discovered a downside to Di2.  I have been riding Di2 for about a year and have found nothing that it really can't do.  Shift under load, no problem - whatever I ask it does.  The problem is that is creates very unrealistic expectations for my other components.  I have just become accustomed to getting what I want when I ask.

Case in point: here is my Dura Ace 7800 front derailleur after I asked it to downshift at the top of a hill yesterday.



No, the cage is not supposed to stick-up in air in two pieces like that.

Was I upset that I was still 12 miles from home?  Not really, I just had to man-up and ride home in the larger chainring.  The drive train does not owe me much after almost 17,000 miles of service.  I just need to remember that all bikes components are not equal and I need to adjust accordingly when I swing my leg over a trusty steed.

No comments:

Post a Comment