Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Mystery

We have truly been blessed with a mild winter that has made riding outdoors a reality on all but a few rare days.  Despite this good fortune, I have continued to have the Madone set-up on the trainer in the living room thanks to my very patient wife.  The trainer is needed in case the weather or roads are too nasty or if I do not have time for a full ride with winter gear - sometimes it is just way more efficient.

Recent trainer rides have left me a little concerned about my decline level of fitness over the winter despite some decent miles.  It just seemed much harder to maintain my spin a or a certain speed.  You may also recall from Road Riding in January that I was a little dismayed about my condition when I took the Madone out on the Palouse.

I just chalked it up to being out of shape from too much not riding hard and went on with my life.  I brought the Madone into the shop the other day for a customer to try-out Di2 before ordering a new bike and always get it inspected.  Dave was checking-out a couple of things and said something to the effect of me doing double resistance training.  I asked him why and he replied that the bottom bracket was very stiff and did not want to turn very well and adding additional resistance.

I was surprised since we replaced the BB bearings this last year and they have not really been subjected to anything unusual.  Tom found that the non-drive side had rusted, but that the drive side was fine when he dug into it. 

Remember, this is my dress bike so I don't ride it in the rain, through puddles or even when there are clouds in the sky.  The chance of water hiding out in the dark recesses of my BB are pretty slim. Tom even asked if I sweat more on one side of my body (no).  In short, it is a mystery that may never be solved, but I have a plausable excuse for being tired and slow.  I only wish our excellent mechanics had not noted the problem so early in the season - now I have to create a new set of explanations.

See you on the bike.

1 comment:

  1. whats wrong with a modern english outboard bb? cheap and lasts forever..

    see you at the races

    cheers
    will

    ReplyDelete